Friday, May 29, 2009

Amsterdam Photos..

The guy with the crazy wig had the best seat in the house to observe Queen's Day.
I was told that building at one time were taxed according to their footage on the street. This is a reason lots of the buildings are skinny but tall. This building really plays that to the hilt. It really is leaning inward a bit and angled oddly(but possibly less than it appears in the picture since the camera may be a little slanted too. But you get the idea). Hence less taxes..Clever, and eye catching solution to property taxation, don't you think?


All the orange hats were part of the Queen's Day celebration. Everyone got one as they entered the city.
I was a little dismayed at all the people who were throwing them on the ground, but I'm sure they realize they pay for them one way or another. Who do you think pays for the city to clean them up? I did see an awful lot of litter, broken bottles and trash around the city, but I'm hoping it was just because of Queen's Day and not a normal situation in the city.
All in all, the city is absolutely charming with unbelievable architecture and charm. It felt really odd to go past building with date of the mid 1600's on their gables.
I really fell in love with this place--absolutely and completely!! I can't wait to get back.


Most of the streets intersect with canals. Just look at the ornate footings on the bridge. Works of art!!!
These are just a couple of my pictures. Since I have a card reader, I'll start posting bit by bit and telling you more.

No comments: