Tuesday, February 05, 2008

What a difference a day makes....

The sweet face you see above is what I woke up to yesterday after the kids and cute man went off to school/work. Yep, that's hubby's pillow she has her head on. She was sooooo darn cute. I think she knew that though.....
It was 65 degrees yesterday! It was unbelievable. However, instead of playing outside, I felt the strong urge to make homemade bread. Since I have a 525 watt Kitchen aide (thanks to my wonderful mom in law who spoils me) it was a really easy task. I really like the recipe I found in the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook for white bread. I used local honey from a guy down the street instead of sugar and really thought that highlighted the taste. It was fabulous! I am going to have to do this more often. The bread was firm and very tasty with an excellent crust. I put real butter on the top to keep the crust soft as it was cooling down........
And since I was still in the baking mood--I made chocolate chip cookies from the recipe off the Gold Medal Organic flour bag. Holy smokes they were GOOD. It wasn't all baking yesterday. I did get in some knitting. I have been working slowly on this Noro Kuyreon scarf for quite some time and thought it was high time to make some progress. I am not feeling the love for the yarn yet, but everyone tells me it softens up after handwashing, so I'm taking the leap of faith.

What a difference a day makes....Yesterday it was 65* and sunny. This morning at 4:30, I awoke to the sounds of our roof getting pelted with this........

HAIL! This picture was taken at 7:30 so a lot of it had gone away, but there was quite a hail storm last night. Being in Kansas, I associate hail with TORNADOES, so I didn't get to go back to sleep for the rest of the morning. Thankfully this is as big as the hail got and no tornado....something tells me this is going to be a rough spring as far as weather goes. It is 35*F right now--that's quite a drop from yesterday....

At any rate, I am hoping to get to my pottery class this afternoon. I have decided I have been away from pottery long enough. I used to do hand building and worked on the wheel a long time ago, so I am looking forward to getting back on the wheel. Once you get centering the ball of clay on the wheel mastered, it becomes quite calming.

Well. I hope the weather is cooperating in your corner of the world.

Good coffee and great friends to you and yours!

1 comment:

Donna said...

I'm so glad to hear you guys didn't have any tornados. Of course, they've been all over the news here and I thought of you. I have to admit, I haven't see a detailed list of the affected areas, but am glad they missed you guys.

Also, that bread looks really good!