Monday, July 07, 2008

Beach dreaming...

We had originally wanted to fly to Pensacola, Florida to hang out at the beach during this month, but with the kids football and weight training camps, that hasn't been possible.

Hubby suggested we use our stimulus check and go in September when the crowds are not so great and the beaches are not so hot. Sounds good to me. So I have spent part of the day surfing the web to see what rates are going to be and it does appear they will be cheaper. I love the ocean and I really can't wait to go.

A couple years ago we went to Gulfport, Mississippi and were really disappointed with the way the beaches looked and the fact that the city was pretty dirty. That was right before Katrina ran through the area.

When we talked to the boys, they were sure they did not want to go back to Gulfport since we really were looking for a beach that they could collect seashells. It appears there are a lot of places up and down the Florida coast where we can look for shells and the hubby and kids can snorkel.

We might go to Bay St. Louis, Mississippi one of the days we are in the area. I was completely in love with that town and the fact it was wiped away by Katrina really made me sad. I want to see how everything has changed and spend some $ there to contribute to the local economy. I know it won't be the same, but I can't imagine there won't be something magical there. The people in that town were part of the magic. The funny thing was the last time we were in Bay St. Louis-prior to Katrina--there was a hurricane during that time also and we watched it as it moved across the Bay into New Orleans. It mainly encompassed a lot of rain, but nothing the size and force of Katrina. Residents were like, "Oh, it's just another hurricane". I can honestly say that flying in a small plane and hitting an unexpected storm pocket sucks(radar and air traffic control don't always have up to the minute info in a fast moving storm), but other than one scary incident, we had no problems flying in. I am hoping we avoid hurricane season or at least an active hurricane--this time.

It has been way too long since we were at the beach and it is time to get back! Ideally I want to stay right on the beach so we don't have to drive and park. One of the boys and I like to get up extra early (5:30 a.m.) and walk the beach. It would be so much easier if we just had to walk outside to get to the ocean. I love being on the beach and watching the sun rise. There are a couple hotels right on the beach that are looking pretty good. Other than going to the Naval Aviation Museum, everything else will involve putting our toes in the sand.

Can you tell I'm looking forward to it?

No comments: