Friday, June 27, 2008

Fried day...


The kids and I just got home from a little grocery shopping and I had them let the dogs out. Two of the dogs appeared at the door and waited to be let in. The beagle didn't. I thought maybe he was on the side of the house--he likes to get lost in the moment and often just stands for a LONG time looking up into the air. Don't ask me why, I guess he's just "in the moment".


After 15 minutes, I figured something was wrong.


Turns out someone had left the gate open and Buddy slipped out. The other dogs stick close to home, Buddy tends to run. Sometimes he gets so excited about not being in his back yard that he fries out. He weaves back and forth, to and fro, like his little sniffer is making his brain explode. And GOD FORBID a rabbit or a squirrel cross his path.


I jumped in the car and saw some women talking at their mailboxes. Turned out that one of them just got home and saw a beagle running "like he had no brains" a couple blocks away.


I high tailed it over to that area and saw a teenager on the street. Turns out her mom caught Buddy and put him in their backyard to keep him from getting hit since he acted like he didn't know what he was doing. She figured someone would come looking for him "since he looked like he's been pampered". I am so thankful that people in our little town will do that. I've done it in the past, and now I'm the beneficiary of the same kindness. I really don't know what we'd do without Buddy!


Everyone is getting micro-chipped. Except for our really old dog. And that might include the kids....only kidding. A little.... We are putting locks on the inside of the gate to keep anyone from opening it from the outside. This was too close of a call. We live near a really busy main street and I shudder to think of what would have happened it he went to the left a couple blocks instead of the right when he got out. It took him a full half hour to stop panting once he got home and drank water, so I'm pretty sure he would have had big trouble if someone had not caught him.


Other than that little bit of excitement, today has been reasonably calm. I have to run to Stillwater in the morning so I can take my mother to Tulsa for some errands. I'm hoping to run a couple places while I'm in Tulsa. I am planning to come home that evening, but we'll see how I am feeling and what is going on. I'd like to drop in and see my Mom-in-law/Dad in law while I'm in the area but I'm not sure what kind of time I will have.


I also need to talk to my nephew to be able to make a final decision on whether we are going to adopt his 1 year old son. There are a lot of issues and a lot of things that we need to consider. Skylar is currently in foster care and we are going to be relative placement since my nephew has indicated he wants hubby and I to adopt him. Skylar has really good foster parents that have indicated they would like to adopt him, so we are trying to make that important decision. This situation has been going on for a while, but I haven't posted about it since we were really trying to weigh what is going to be in his best interest. I do feel good about the fact that he does have foster parents that really care for him. It's just REALLY hard to know what is the right thing to do.


I know the post today was pretty dry. I've been really tired the past couple days--the heat seems to really get to me. I guess I should be thankful I'm not in the deep South with the double fisted heat and staggering humidity.


At some point this summer I am flying to Atlanta again to visit my friend Marita and to go to Mexico for a weekend trip with her. I am in the process of getting my passport so I can get into Mexico. I know the reputation Mexico has one gringo's digestive systems, so I'm a little apprehensive. However, not enough to keep me from going. I've always wanted to go to Mexico and since I have a really good opportunity to go at a really good price, I am going!
Well, I'd better sign off and go back to work on Son's fair isle mitten. I have frogged this mitten three times while playing with the gauge gods. So far they have been totally kicking my arse! However, I think I have finally found the needle size that will work even when my stitches get tight. FINALLY!
Good coffee and great friends to you and yours.




No comments: