Monday, June 02, 2008

Just another Manic Monday...

OK, maybe not. However it is 12:30 and I can honestly say I haven't accomplished much of anything. The ideal would be that the dirty dishes are happily whirling away in the dishwasher that is sitting happily on a floor that has been freshly mopped. I'll have to get right on that.

Um..not so much.

However I fully intend to actually make some progress getting control of the box population today. The boys don't have football camp or weight training camp, so they are home and happy to pitch in.

Um....not so much.

But since I"M THE MOM, they will (at some point) realize that resistance is futile and will give in an get things done. I'll let you know how that turns out. Much bitching to ensue, I am sure.

I am really getting excited about my road trip with a friend at the end of the week. Staci and I are going to Kansas City to take cooking classes at the Kansas City Culinary Center. We have taken a couple classes there and love that place. Originally we had signed up for a gluten free cooking class. Staci has Celiacs disease which makes gluten and gluten products toxic to her. I never realized how much gluten (wheat) is in just about everything we eat. I am not allergic to gluten, but am always game to learn new stuff so I told her I'd take the class with her.Unfortunately, after we made the hotel reservations and all the other plans, the Center called and said they had to change the date of the class. The new date didn't work. Staci had already asked for time off from work, made the hotel reservation and all the other things involved with gittin' outta Dodge...We are taking the pate choux class (think eclairs, creme puffs, etc) even though Staci can't consume them--and we got placed in a healthy cooking class. So I guess it is all good. I would have loved to take the gluten free class though.

While we are in KC, we are planning to hit the Half Price book stores in both Olathe and Overland Park, peruse the Whole Foods chain in Overland Park, eat at cool places and generally spend time decompressing and relaxing. Staci and I have taken several really neat roadtrips together in the past and just have a natural rhythm that we fall into. We took a roadtrip to Tow, Texas once because I wanted to learn how to make handmade soap. Yep, she's that kind of friend. Not a lot of people would drive from Kansas to Tow, Texas to take a class on SOAP just because their friend thought it sounded fun.

We are leaving Friday morning -- OK, we are leaving when we feel like it--and driving to Overland Park to stay at White Haven hotel. It is a third generation Mom and Pop motel that I stay at when I go to KC. It just has a lot more personality than a national chain. The daughter runs the front desk and is always fun to talk to. It has been several years since I stayed there so I am hoping it is still as great as it was in the past. The classes aren't until Saturday and Sunday, so we will have a good amount of time to run around and explore the town. There used to be a fabric outlet in Overland Park and I am hoping it is still there. The last time I was there, they had huge amounts over home decorating fabric that I have seen at $20+ a yard here in Wichita for $10 a yard. I plan to start getting cutains made and finally personalizing the house this summer.

Can you tell I'm excited and ready to go?!

No comments: