Saturday, July 14, 2007

Bonus post day!


When Cute Man and the kids were at the air show, they came across this and of course, had to take a picture since there is nothing I have a greater disdain for than SPAM--not coincidentally Cute Man loves Spam. But then he used to eat MREs when in the Army so his taste buds are probably numb...I refuse to handle the stuff..it scares me.So he had to rib me....I pointed out that it definitely looked like the crowd was beating down their door for those free samples of congealed, blended and molded meat by-product.....


However, I did get a really good chocolate cake made from one of my community cookbooks while the boys were gone. Son #2 is not a big chocolate fan, so we compromised and used white frosting. I had canned frosting--which I usually don't use, but I discovered if you add a teaspoon of REAL vanilla to a can of ready made frosting, it tastes homemade...


Here is the recipe for the cake-if the above didn't make you queasy... Instead of the dried coffee crystals and water, I just used a cup of already brewed coffee from this morning since I like my coffee a little on the stout side...It's a good cake!


Black Magic Cake

From the Colden Country Cookbook (date 1982) by the Colden, New York United Methodist Women


2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

3/4 cup cocoa

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup strong black coffee (2 teaspoons instant coffee and 1 cup boiling water)

2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the first six ingredients. Add the remaining ingredients, beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Batter will be thin. Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan or two 8 inch pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Who knew there was a spam-mobile? Wow...

Rhonda said...

I know, scary, huh? But then who knew there was a market for congealed meat by products infused with a gallon of salt. It's like a recycled meaty salt lick in a handy tin can!