Saturday, May 17, 2008

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Sam and I went to Lawrence, Kansas today and I took lots of pictures...wait...crap! I knew I forgot something...

There was so much going on that I flat out forgot to pull out the camera. I promise that won't happen again.

We are planning another trip there soon.

Sam and I left Wichita at 8:30 a.m and got to Lawrence a little after 11:00. Only a trip to Lawrence would make me get my rear out of bed early on a weekend. I love Lawrence. It is a college town and it just has so much positive energy that I can't help but look forward to being there! We got there and the normally moderately crowded downtown was REALLY CROWDED. People everywhere. As it turns out, there is an annual crazy decorated vehicle parade happening today. While we didn't get to see a lot of it, getting to "people watch" more than made up for it. It is a very artistic town in every way and the people are just as colorful.

Anyway, Sam and I ate at my favorite Indian restaurant--India Palace--and then went to the yarn barn where Sam played with spinning wheels. She is seriously considering getting a spinning wheel, so we spent time playing and sampling different wheels. I have to admit, I am still completely hooked on the Ladybug--even after trying a couple different ones. It just spins so smoothly.....I finally bought myself a set of wool carders. I had been holding out to see if I could find an inexpensive pair of used ones, but that hasn't happened, so I just bought a pair. Surprisingly, I didn't buy a single skein of yarn. I did pick up a pound of superwash merino roving, but NO YARN. I deserve a treat for that. A skein of Lorna's, maybe? I also finally got to spin on a Kromski Sonata. I had really had my mind made up that the Sonata was the portable wheel I wanted. It just looked good. However, at the Yarn Barn I got to sit at it and spin. I have to admit, while it is a nice wheel, my heart belongs to the Ladybug. It just feels right. Isn't it funny how something just clicks? I tried several small wheels while I was there, but kept coming back to the Ladybug. One thing that surprised me is that Schadt's ( I know I did not spell it right...forgive me) $900 standard wheel was really not what I liked. I know it is "the cadillac" of wheels, but I found it odd feeling. I guess that'll save me several hundred dollars. I'll stick with my Ashford double drive and my Danish wheel for uprights. They are well made and study and I'm getting great yarn. For a traveling wheel, I'll seriously keep looking at the Ladybug. It'll be a while before this dream comes true though....

I really wish I had taken pictures. I promise to get a ton next time. If you live in Kansas and have not visited Lawrence, do plan to get there soon. The town will amaze you. There are tons of really good places to eat and shop.

It was a great day!!!

No comments: